emphasizing minutiae or form in scholarship or teaching; strict; meticulous
pedantic
civil
ambiguous
adverse

A good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities.

please correct my essay! thanks very much!! | Please check my essay! Thank you very much
A good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities. #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 09, 2012 16:10 pm   A good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities.

Hi, could you check and rate this essay?
I see that the second body paragraph is kind of short. Do you think it's very bad?
Thank you very much!

Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.

Humans are usually thought to be the only beings who have a sense of humor. However, there are many people who do not have this sense. As far as I am concerned, people who have a good sense of humor have and advantage over those who do not. Therefore, I think that a good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities.

The first point is that people who have a good sense of humor are often more popular among others than those who do not. It is merely because humans find it more interesting to talk with people who are able to tell a funny joke instead of talking about everything seriously. Furthermore, having a good sense of humor can cheer up other people. To illustrate, if a person has some problems, he or she may become happier after talking to a person who can make some non-offensive jokes. Thus, having a good sense of humor can make one more popular among others, which is very important.

Secondly, a good sense of humor can help a person in making a career. People who have this sense usually get on well with their colleagues and with their bosses; thus, they are more likely to be promoted. This is another reason why a good sense of humor is one of the most essential human qualities.

Last but not least, people who have a good sense of humor enjoy their lives more than those who do not They usually are optimistic about various situations, and, as a result, they are more likely to have a success not only in their career life but in their private life too. These people can easier bear the difficulties they face with their families. Thus, they live a happier life.

To recapitulate, having a good sense of humor is a crucial quality for people. This sense can help with other people. Also it can help in career and private life.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social studies class
Zygis

Location: Lithuania

Re: A good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities. #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 10, 2012 17:05 pm   Re: A good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities.

Hi, this is an excellent essay. I could hardly find any grammatical errors as well. I think your short paragraph is ok, but I think adding one more sentence would be a great improvement. Also, if you could come up with some final word of wisdom or quote for the conclusion, it would be wonderful. Something like "Surely having a sense of humor is just as important and valuable as having common sense." I think it would still easily get a 5 out of 5 without any changes.

Zygis wrote:
Thank you very much!

Humans are usually thought to be the only beings who have a sense of humor. However, there are many people who do not have this sense. As far as I am concerned, people who have a good sense of humor have and advantage over those who do not. Therefore, I think that a good sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities. {try to give a summary of your reasons in the thesis statement}

The{"My" sounds better here to me} first point is that people who have a good sense of humor are often more popular among[with] others than those who do not. It is merely{"simply" would be better here} because humans find it more interesting to talk with people who are able to tell a funny joke instead of [only] talking about everything seriously. Furthermore, having a good sense of humor can cheer up other people. To illustrate, if a person has some problems, he or she may become happier{"cheer up" is a good idiom to use here} after talking to a person who can make some non-offensive jokes. Thus, having a good sense of humor can make one more popular among others, which is very important.

Last but not least, people who have a good sense of humor enjoy their lives more than those who do not They usually are optimistic about various situations, and, as a result, they are more likely to have a success not only in their career{"working" would be better here} life but in their private life too. These people can easier[more easily] bear the difficulties they face with their families. Thus, they live a happier li[ves].

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFLŪ Why do you think people visit museums?please check my essay, grammar and vocabulary....!Please help me with this problem!please check my essay,I will appriciate your help!please check my essay, thank you so much!!!Please check my essay! Thank you so much..please check my essay,I will appriciate your help!Prepare for IELTS exam. Please check my essay!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOUPlease correct my essayplease check my essay,my first essay, please help me!please check my essay,I will appriciate your help!People attend college or university for many different reasons (essay)Please correct my essay!