to whip severely; to flog; to lash; to chastise
scourge
incarcerate
blemish
discourse

“Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.” IELTS

Please score my independent essay, thanks very much. | Banned smoking, argue style, please check it, thank a lot!
“Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.” IELTS #1 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 4:21 am   “Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.” IELTS

“Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.”
To what extent do you agree or disagree with the above statement?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your experience.

Probably everybody would agree that telling the truth is the right thing to do. However, sometimes there is only a fine line between being honest and being rude or being polite and lying. Telling the truth may not be socially acceptable in every situation. In my view, it can sometimes be wiser and more socially acceptable not to frankly tell the truth to everybody.

First of all, we can damage our own reputation and goals with perfect honesty at all times. For example, it may not be a good idea to criticize your superior in public or draw attention to your own mistakes. In both cases it may be more intelligent to avoid commenting on the subject than telling the truth.

Furthermore, unconditional frankness may hurt other people‘s feelings. Our truthful comments may be considered impolite or offending. Even in a close relationship speaking the truth can come across discouraging and lead to conflicts.

Overall, brutal honesty is not the best prerequisite for successful social interaction. Therefore, every group and society has their own rules of what level of directness and honesty is acceptable. For newcomers it can be quite challenging to understand these implicit rules. Social acceptable behaviour can be valued more than the truth.

In conclusion, telling the truth can be a bad choice for us and other people in some situations. It can be more socially acceptable to not give an opinion or even lie. Certainly, this finding should not be used as an excuse to lie in general. It is all about finding the delicate balance between being honest and being rude.

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the problem with the concept of brain lateralization?
Katisss

Re: “Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.” IELTS #2 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2012 2:49 am   Re: “Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth.” IELTS

Hi Katiss, another excellent essay. I wish I could give some helpful advice, but this essay seems almost perfect the way it is. I would rate it a band 8, maybe a band 9, but I am not really sure what it takes to rate that high.

Katisss wrote:

First of all, we can damage our own reputation and goals with perfect honesty at all times. For example, it may not be a good idea to criticize your superior in public or draw attention to your own mistakes. In both cases it may be more intelligent to avoid commenting on the subject than telling{"to tell" gives a more parallel structure} the truth.

Furthermore, unconditional frankness may hurt other people‘s feelings. Our truthful comments may be considered impolite or offending. Even in a close relationship speaking the truth can come across [as] discouraging and lead to conflicts.

Overall, brutal honesty is not the best prerequisite for successful social interaction. Therefore, every group and society has their own rules of what level of directness and honesty is acceptable. For newcomers it can be quite challenging to understand these implicit rules. Social[ly] acceptable behaviour can be valued more than the truth.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Hello !can you check my structure in answering the questionPlease grade my 8th essayPlease score my integrated essay, I have my test tomorrow.Please score and revise my independent writingPlease help me revise and rate this essay. Thanks in advance.Please rate and revise my independent essayCan you correct and grade my essay? thank you very much! :)Essay: It is generally accepted that families are not as close as they used to beplease help with my essay. thanks very much.Ask for revisionPlease check my essay . Thank you very much. 5/23/2012Should children learn foreign language as soon as they start school?