freedom; impetuosity; enthusiasm
abandon
consensus
vituperation
parody

community service or prison

Many students choose to attend schools or universities outside their home countr | Letter to rate for IELTS -5
community service or prison #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:19 am   community service or prison

Some think it is fair for convicts to spend time in prison, while others think that community service would be better for criminals and society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

People have different views what kind of punishment is adequate for criminals. Historically convicts have been locked away in prisons but some people argue community service is a more effective measure. In my view, the main goals of punishment are to deter people form committing crimes, to resocialize the offender and to protect the society from criminals. While both imprisonment and social work meet those goals one or the other may be more suitable in some cases.

Deterring people from breaking the law is a primary purpose of punishment. Both having to spend time in prison and having to do low or unpaid work, such as cleaning public places, should be unattractive enough to keep people from committing crimes. Generally speaking, in my view either punishment fulfils the goal equally well.

However, when it comes to remobilizing convicts social work has clear advantages over prison terms. Unlike in prison that are made to work do not have to spend their life in social isolation from the society. They can meet people outside the facility instead of spending all their time other prisoners who are potentially a negative influence. Also, the work might give them better chance to reflect on their crimes and help them to keep or develop their skills and good work ethics.

Unfortunately, letting convicts do social work can conflict with the goal of protecting the society from dangerous individuals. Some convicts are aggressive or pose a danger to other people. It would be difficult to let them work outside a prison. In my view public safety is more important in such cases but they should be the exception.

For all these reasons I consider social work a good alternative to prison terms. I therefore believe convicts that are not considered dangerous should be given a choice between prison time and social work. It is obvious that this can improve the process of remobilising offenders while still being in accordance with the purpose of a fine.

TOEFL listening lectures: When was Angkor Wat constructed?
Katisss

Re: community service or prison #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:32 am   Re: community service or prison

Hi, another excellent essay. Only a few minor errors. I think it would score a band 8.

Katisss wrote:

People have different views [on] what kind of punishment is adequate for criminals. Historically{comma} convicts have been locked away in prisons but some people argue community service is a more effective measure. In my view, the main goals of punishment are to deter people form{sp} committing crimes, to resocialize the offender and to protect the society from criminals. While both imprisonment and social work meet those goals one or the other may be more suitable in some cases.

Deterring people from breaking the law is a primary purpose of punishment. Both having to spend time in prison and having to do low or unpaid work, such as cleaning public places, should be unattractive enough to keep people from committing crimes. Generally speaking, in my view either punishment fulfils{sp} the goal equally well.

However, when it comes to remobilizing convicts{comma} social work has clear advantages over prison terms. Unlike in prison that[, those who] are made to work do not have to spend their life in social isolation from the{the is OK here, but it sounds better without it} society. They can meet people outside the facility instead of spending all their time [with] other prisoners who are potentially a negative influence. Also, the work might give them [a] better chance to reflect on their crimes and help them to keep or develop their skills and good work ethics.

Unfortunately, letting convicts do social work can conflict with the goal of protecting the society from dangerous individuals. Some convicts are aggressive or pose a danger to other people. It would be difficult to let them work outside a prison. In my view{comma} public safety is more important in such cases but they should be the exception.

For all these reasons I consider social work a good alternative to prison terms. I therefore believe convicts that are not considered dangerous should be given a choice between prison time and social work. It is obvious that this can improve the process of remobilising offenders while still being in accordance with the purpose of a fine {"penalty" or "punishment" might be better, fine only refers to a monetary penalty}.

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemLearn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
community service or prison #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:41 am   community service or prison

remobilizing should be resocializing
I guess automatic spell correction kicked in here
Katisss

community service or prison #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:02 am   community service or prison

I guess that would be better, although remobilizing seems to work too. (actually my computer is now saying it is not a word, but it definitely should be :) )

You are not happy with the hotel that was booked for your meetingadvantages than disadvantages to living in a house rather than in an apartment77 in TOEFLŪ equals to what in IELTSWrite a letter to a park authority about damage being made to the facilities of tWrite a letter to a park authority about damage being made to the facilities of tWrite a letter to your supervisor regarding a course you attendedPlease check my essay and rate it. Thank you beforehand! 30th of JuneChildren should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school.could you review my essay , thank in advance .Please correct my essay!!!!Please help me to score my ibt writing and give me some suggestion to improve itletter to the Director of a hospital for thanking him for excellently taking carePlease help me correct and rate this essay. Thanks in advance.