Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

full of or accompanied by; charged with; laden with
fraught
pretend
mental
standard
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions | Does to detest mean to hate?
listening exercises
she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 am   she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #557 "English Slang Idioms (195)", question 10

"When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the ......... degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance," Lisa told Bob, her roommate's boyfriend when he confided in her.

(a) final
(b) complete
(c) nth
(d) max

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #557 "English Slang Idioms (195)", answer 10

"When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance," Lisa told Bob, her roommate's boyfriend when he confided in her.

Correct answer: (c) nth

Your answer was: incorrect
"When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the final degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance," Lisa told Bob, her roommate's boyfriend when he confided in her.

Hi Teachers,

I've found the meaning of the "nth degree" here. My question is about the very end "when he confided in her". Isn't it must be "when he confided to her"? (else I can't bind the sense with the previous statement) Help me, please!

Thank you,
Vladimir.

she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 am   she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree

You confide in someone, not confide to someone.
The correct preposition is 'in'.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 am   she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree

Oh, it looks like so called a Brazil soap opera or the classic English detective with tangled relationships where one deceives his girlfriend but confindes in his other female friend and maybe seeks an advice. It will not be a surprise for me if it turned out that the women are friends too. :) (however, sometimes life is as described here)

Vladimir.

and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions | Does to detest mean to hate?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
metric measuring system called the Celsius unitMalnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Meaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackthe results were off the scalehe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookhonors vs motionsIdiom: Made a mistake