Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

treated as an expense
major
absorbed
further
name
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

But versus because

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of toothpick | Could I change "her" for "their"?
listening exercises
But versus because #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 19:34 pm   But versus because

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #104 "Conjunctions: and, but, or, so", question 10

I wanted to visit my grandmother last week ......... she had an accident and had to be taken to hospital.

(a) but
(b) or
(c) so

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #104 "Conjunctions: and, but, or, so", answer 10

I wanted to visit my grandmother last week but she had an accident and had to be taken to hospital.

Correct answer: (a) but

THE THREE ANSWERS ARE WRONG

THE CORRECT IS BECAUSE

MUS
Mus

Conjunction #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 20:04 pm   Conjunction

Hi,

But is fine here as it means unfortunately you couldn't visit her because she was in hospital. Because is not right - that would mean that was the reason she was in hospital !

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
But versus because #3 (permalink) Thu May 10, 2007 17:17 pm   But versus because

I think there is a grammatical mistake in the sentence.Second sentence must be 'past perfect tense'.Musn't it??
It must be so:
I wanted to visit my grandmother last week but she had had an accident and had to be taken to hospital.
Thinktank

But versus because #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 13:46 pm   But versus because

Hi Thinktank

I think past perfect is usually used when there is a chronological order involved between certain actions in the past, however, here what s/he wanted to do last week does not denote any certain point in time prior or subsequent to his/her grandma having an accident and her consequent hospitalization but rather the state s/he was in.

I arrived at her apartment only to realize that she had had an accident one week earlier and had been taken to hospital.

Regards
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of toothpick | Could I change "her" for "their"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Here is what I do when I get home after work...the grass is greener on the other side?What does dresssing mean in connection with food?"I'll want to salad with that"? is it right?your body temperature. increasesCould I also say "they have a runny or stuffy nose"?Could it be "Yes, do you have a pen and some paper(s)"?display as a verb vs. display as a noun"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Could we say "They understand well each other"?Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?Why did a lot of pedestrian walk across the street when the light turned green?