Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

innovation; something new; discovery
guarantee
ignorance
business
novelty
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between rate, change and fees

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
'Pedagogic grammarian' versus 'Academic linguist' | 'What is the latest time...home?'
listening exercises
Difference between rate, change and fees #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:35 am   Difference between rate, change and fees

Dear teachers,

If I ask sb to remove the snow in front of my house in 5 days.
The price is:

3$/day.
In total: 15$/ 5 days.

So,3$ and 15$ are called fees or rate or change or fees?

What is the difference btw fees, rate , change , fees?

Thanks
Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meanings #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:51 am   Meanings

Hi Quoc,

I could recommend two books that you might find useful:

The Advanced Learner's Dictionary published by Oxford University Press, which not only defines words but also uses them in illustrative sentences.

Right Word Wrong Word by L G Alexander published by Longman. This books defines groups of related words and how each should be used.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between rate, change and fees #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:21 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

Also, you wrote the numbers for the money wrong.

We don't write 3$ or 15$. The dollar sign must come BEFORE the number. The correct way to write this is $3 or $15. It's the same with every unit of currency: ?3, ?15, ?3, ?15, ?3000, ?15,000, etc.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:29 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

Dear teacher,

Can I write: $15.000?

Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:50 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

tung quoc wrote:
Can I write: $15.000?

$15,000 means fifteen thousand dollars.
$15.000 means fifteen dollars, but we would not write more than two zeros.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:57 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

Dear teacher,

I don't understand. Please tell me when use , , when use ; in numbers?

Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 13:16 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

tung quoc wrote:
I don't understand. Please tell me when use , , when use ; in numbers?

In English we use the comma for separating thousands from hundreds: 1,000 and 15,000 are examples. They mean one thousand and fifteen thousand.

We use the period (full stop) to separate whole numbers from decimals. For example, 10.5 means ten and five tenths, or ten and a half, and 12.45 means twelve and forty-five one-hundredths. When we write the figures for money, we use the period in the same way. So, $15.00 means fifteen dollars and no cents, and $1.45 means one dollar and forty-five cents.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #8 (permalink) Sun Aug 20, 2006 20:43 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

Jamie wrote:
In English we use the comma

Why the comma? Why not a comma? Or both are correct?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #9 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 am   Difference between rate, change and fees

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between rate, change and fees #10 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

Hi Tom

"We use the (punctuation mark called) comma...." ;)

Amy

Difference between rate, change and fees #11 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 19:15 pm   Difference between rate, change and fees

:lol:
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'Pedagogic grammarian' versus 'Academic linguist' | 'What is the latest time...home?'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"Too soon""Be going to do sth" and 'Be about to do sth'Fearful - timid and frightful :)"parent are" OR "parents is"'Comma' - 'A comma' - 'The comma''Dear Friends' versus 'Dear friends'Meaning of "crisper"Another six weeks!No sooner had he arrived than he fell illExpression: 'Captures the essence of our times'Defining moments!'But, no matter' Versus 'But, doesn't matter'Supposingly?