Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to specialize in a certain field
major
perceive
command
interest
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

worse vs. the worst

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
His driving scares me a lot. | is it correct?
listening exercises
worse vs. the worst #1 (permalink) Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 am   worse vs. the worst

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Comparatives and Superlatives (1)", question 4

Kevin is bad, but Norah is ..........

(a) worst
(b) worse
(c) more bad

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Comparatives and Superlatives (1)", answer 4

Kevin is bad, but Norah is worse.

Correct answer: (b) worse

Your answer was: incorrect
Kevin is bad, but Norah is worst.

Hi there,
Could you please explain to me when to use worst and when to use worse?

Many thanks
Davide2
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Re: worse vs. the worst #2 (permalink) Wed May 08, 2013 5:38 am   Re: worse vs. the worst

"worse" is used when comparing two of something. One is worse than the other one.
"worst" is used when comparing three or more of something. One is the worst of the three or more.
Canadian45
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
worse vs. the worst #3 (permalink) Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am   worse vs. the worst

I disagree,

This car is worse than the other two you showed me last time (three things)

I think the difference is that "worse" is a comparative word, and "worst" is a superlative word.
If A is worse than B, it doesn't mean that A is the worst. But if A is the worst then A is definitely worse than B (and C and D, etc.)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

worse vs. the worst #4 (permalink) Thu May 09, 2013 20:22 pm   worse vs. the worst

Ok then. Now is much more clear for me. Thank you.
Davide2
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

worse vs. the worst #5 (permalink) Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 am   worse vs. the worst

[quote="Our Tort System"]I disagree,

This car is worse than the other two you showed me last time (three things)That statement is correct, but that is not the usual situation for explaining "worse and "worst". "worst" is used when there are three or more things of different 'qualities'.

I think the difference is that "worse" is a comparative word, and "worst" is a superlative word. yes, of course
If A is worse than B, it doesn't mean that A is the worst. If you are comparing only two things, you wouldn't use "worst". But if A is the worst then A is definitely worse than B (and C and D, etc. of course)
Canadian45
I'm a Communicator ;-)

His driving scares me a lot. | is it correct?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Out on bail?f you choose a bold color for your walls, you should choose some, soft, neutral..Not Mark, though -- he truly loves peopleHe's really trustworthyThe challenge is to perfect interpersonal skillsMeaning of "their side for certain cervical levels"?to this daycritical acclaimCurt is so egotistical. He always brags about how smart he is and about how...When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerUsage quit instead of leaveI don't know what time they'll be back this evening...Difference between other and another