Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to enter information into a chart; to postpone; to set aside for future consideration
diet
capture
realize
table
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
read | Please check my sentence
listening exercises
Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #1 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 5:45 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the sentence below.

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. It was said by John W. Whitehead.

As I realized so far,it means children have unlimited potentials that we never know. Am I right?

I esecpially don't understand the structure of the sentence. What's the part of the speech of "we send to a time" ? Could you analyze it for me?

Thanks very much.

Maggie :roll:
I'm here quite often ;-)

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #2 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 7:24 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

A time is a time span (for example, 1900-1920 is a time)
So, we teach our children something (our message is what we have taught our children) they will remember in the future (the future we might not see because we will die of old age).
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #3 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 8:22 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

I think so too. Maybe another word with the similar meaning is 'an era'. In Chinese, should we use 'Shidai'?
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #4 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 13:41 pm   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for telling me this. But I have one more question.

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.

1. Why it says "children are the living messages"? I mean what's living messages and why not just say "children are the
messages"?

2. (Children are the living messages we send) to a time we will not see.

Can I consider it above according to the English grammar?

I mean children are the living messages which we send,and children will go to a time that we will not see.

Did I analyze it correctly?

By the way,

Hi Haihao ,

You're right. An era in Chinese we say 'Shidai'. I'm glad that you like to learn
Chinse so much.

Thanks a lot again.

Maggie
I'm here quite often ;-)

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

This quote is credited to Neil Postman and comes from his book "The Disappearance of Childhood". It is NOT a quote from John Whitehead.
Mpostman

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

Hi,
I think in this way:
Children are the living messages whom/that we send to a time which/that we will not see.
In other words, we send CHILDREN & we will not see a TIME.
Wishes,
Morteza
Morteza
I'm here quite often ;-)

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see? #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:13 am   Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see?

Living is used because you could send a message in the form of a note, a book, a poem, but your children are actually alive, even though you're not. So, by emphasizing that the message is "living" there's an implication that a part of you is alive as well.
Charms_

read | Please check my sentence
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Would you please answer my question?What does mean "you are fit"? (excluding "healthy" and "show-and-tellTenses (From Seinfeld)Can I compare like these ways?Lost in translationUse of "hassle"why it is me NOT it is iWhere is the mistake?Am I stressing correct words? April 7What's the difference between "I'll miss you." and "I'm going to mwander/ramble//meandercollaborating