Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

meanwhile; in the meantime
twice
already
overhead
interim
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"People is" or "People are"

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
'Vietnamese English teacher' or 'English Vietnamese teacher' | Meaning of "the definition is relative"
listening exercises
"People is" or "People are" #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 am   "People is" or "People are"

What is correct:?:

PEOPLE IS or PEOPLE ARE

PEOPLE HAVE or PEOPLE HAS

And the same doubt...

My FAMILY IS or My FAMILY ARE
Edgarlandia
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"People is" or "People are" #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:59 am   "People is" or "People are"

The word "people" is a Noun of Multitude ,such nouns have no plural forms,they agree with the verb in the plural.
So,according to this rule the correct forms are: people are;people have.

As for "family",here we have two versions.We can say either "my family is" or "my family are" but it all depends on the context,
When the word "family" is used as a Collective Noun it agrees with the verb in the singular, e.g. My family is large. (we mean the family as a whole).
When it is used as a Noun of Multitude it agrees with the verb in the plural. e.g. My family are asleep.( here we mean the members of the family).

Edgarlandia,I think this will be helpful for you! :)
Tamta

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"People is" or "People are" #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2009 20:31 pm   "People is" or "People are"

Hi Tamta,

Thanks for answering my question. (Now I will not make that mistake). I am new in this web site, but I can see I will be able to get better my English level here.

Your explanation was really clear.

See you, and again THANKS
Edgarlandia
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"People is" or "People are" #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 am   "People is" or "People are"

Yep, agree with you. Your explanation is the same as what I was taught :-

Tamta wrote:
The word "people" is a Noun of Multitude ,such nouns have no plural forms,they agree with the verb in the plural.
So,according to this rule the correct forms are: people are;people have.

As for "family",here we have two versions.We can say either "my family is" or "my family are" but it all depends on the context,
When the word "family" is used as a Collective Noun it agrees with the verb in the singular, e.g. My family is large. (we mean the family as a whole).
When it is used as a Noun of Multitude it agrees with the verb in the plural. e.g. My family are asleep.( here we mean the members of the family).

Edgarlandia,I think this will be helpful for you! :)
Tamta
Anna.ha
I'm here quite often ;-)

'Vietnamese English teacher' or 'English Vietnamese teacher' | Meaning of "the definition is relative"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
May be challenged or have been challenged?You will be the death of me! - what does that mean?'old fashioned' vs 'out of date'Write down fractions numbers such as 3/4 and also how to write down 9th - 12th?You must not smoke. vs You dont have to smoke.Meaning of 'Far from over'Is this correct: What occupation are you?'Thank you so much' or 'Thank you very much'?Sentence: Since for the past 4 years it has never been snowed as it was...Future: I'm taking him to the zoo. vs I'm gong to take him to the zoo.Sentence: I love travelling and sit beside the driver.what does the meaning of "i was hurting to feel""to be about to" vs "on the verge of"