Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

preoccupied; lost in thought
absent
urban
hard
fair
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Attempt vs. assault | in stock
listening exercises
Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:33 am   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

Test No. incompl/inter-65 "How to ask a question", question 5

I would be most interested to know why the committee has turned ......... my proposal.

(a) down
(b) off
(c) over
(d) out

Test No. incompl/inter-65 "How to ask a question", answer 5

I would be most interested to know why the committee has turned down my proposal.

Correct answer: (a) down

Your answer was: incorrect
I would be most interested to know why the committee has turned off my proposal.

hipls explain to me why the sentence use turn down not use turn off
tks
av

Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:40 am   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

Turn down means reject/dismiss - not accept. Turn off is used in the sense of stop a machine for example in the sense of switch off. You turn off a car engine when you arrive/You turn off a light when you leave the room.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2005 16:13 pm   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

Alan wrote:
Turn down means reject/dismiss - not accept. Turn off is used in the sense of stop a machine for example in the sense of switch off. You turn off a car engine when you arrive/You turn off a light when you leave the room.

What is the differences between turn off and turn out? They both have meaning shut off.

Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:33 am   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

Turn out works only with illumination. The light then goes out (becomes extinguished).

We cannot 'turn out' other types of equipment, machinery or appliances. We turn off an oven, a washing machine, an automobile engine, and yes, a light as well.

Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2011 16:06 pm   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

Hello,
As 'turn out' has several meanings but its synonyms are: to reject; to dismiss;
so I wrote 3 sentences with this meaning.
1. turn sb. out (of/from sth) = expel by force,threats etc.
My landlord is turning me out of the end of the month.
She got pregnant and was turn out of the house by her parents.
2.reject=refuse to accept(sb/sth)
She rejected his offer of marriage.
3 dismiss = send away(from one's employment, from service )
the servant was dismissed for being lazy and dishonest.
Kati Svaby

Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off' #6 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2011 16:10 pm   Difference between 'turn down and 'turn off'

1/b: .correction:She got pregnant and she was turned out of the end of the month.

Attempt vs. assault | in stock
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
deep pockets and short armsCorrect my paragraph pleasegrammarthe youngest child.Are you sure about that?Why don't you play with your sister?down colddead eventhe mother of the bride weptlike a deer in the headlightsbalance vs controlUsage of "going to"Meaning of 'she started glaring'?