Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one who serves tables at a restaurant or pub
outside
subsidy
circumstance
waiter
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

To consider my case

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Malnutrition is a big problem in developing countries. | Never look a gift horse in the mouth?
listening exercises
To consider my case #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 23, 2004 17:26 pm   To consider my case

Hello Alan!

Test No. incompl/inter-65 "How to ask a question", question 1

May I ask you whether you have had a chance to ......... my case?

(a) convene
(b) consider
(c) contend
(d) construct

Test No. incompl/inter-65 "How to ask a question", answer 1

May I ask you whether you have had a chance to consider my case?

Correct answer: (b) consider

Be so kind, please, Tell me meaning of ....consider my case...
many thanks
Pupil :(
I'm here quite often ;-)

Consider #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:38 pm   Consider

This means examine my situation

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
To consider my case #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 am   To consider my case

Hello,

My question would be: Why do you use the present perfect here:...whether you have had a chance...I am sure that I would have written: ...whether you have the chance....
What is the difference between the both.
Kati Svaby

To consider my case #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 am   To consider my case

Hi Kati,

'Whether you have a chance' suggests 'at any time' with the idea that this chance can be now or in the future. 'Whether you have had a chance' suggests 'so far' 'up till now' with the idea that you want to know whether during that time there has been a chance.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

To consider my case #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:43 am   To consider my case

I see,Alan. Now I understand the whole. This was really very new for me. Now I memorized it for a life.

Kati Svaby

hey friend i've some problem with grammar #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 am   hey friend i've some problem with grammar

i have problem in passive voice
1.which sentence is right [1. The Company is not independent.it is owned by much larger company 2. The Company is not independent.it has been owned by much larger company]

2. which sentence is right [1. She is separated from her family 2. She has been separated from her family]

3. which sentence is right [1. it's a big factory.five hundred people are employed there 2.it's a big factory. five hundred people has been employed there]

4. 1.She is separated from her family. 2. She has been separated from her family[My friends says both 'is separated is same as 'has been separated' ]

please help is given above sentence has same meaning or they are different please explain me thanks
Jimmorse101
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

To consider my case #7 (permalink) Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am   To consider my case

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

35 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello it is a very interesting question.
Which is correct?
1.The Company is not independent, it is owned by much larger company
2. The Company is not independent, it has been owned by much larger company

I think the examples deal with the tense, it is owned means the company is CURRENTLY owned. "it has been owned" means it was owned, but it isn't sure that currently it is owned yet.

The stress is on the currant situation we want to express what is on the present day.

I am not sure that my arguing is correct so I am looking forward to Alan's explanation.
Excuse me that I tried to ahead of you to tell my explanation.

Regards.

To consider my case #8 (permalink) Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 am   To consider my case

Hi Kati,

You are spot on! What I would add is that the indefinite article is needed in the sentence:
Quote:
by a much larger company.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

To consider my case #9 (permalink) Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am   To consider my case

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

45 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello Alan,

Many thanks.

I correct the mistake:
The Company is not independent, it is owned by a much larger company.

Regards:

Kati Svaby

Ps: The expression is understandable but I met it for the first time:
You are spot on !

Malnutrition is a big problem in developing countries. | Never look a gift horse in the mouth?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The company celebrated because they have been in business for a century.The company celebrated.metric measuring system called the Celsius unitMeaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionson the shelf vs. on holdthe results were off the scaleDoes to detest mean to hate?Referring to animals with its/his/her?The meaning and the usage of the word "mirage"Aurora borealis concerns specific areas, doesn't it?