Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

in opposition; against; counter
instead
behind
contrary
regardless
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "on Tuesday next" mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the difference between area and place? | What is a pick-up truck?
listening exercises
What does "on Tuesday next" mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:51 am   What does "on Tuesday next" mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", question 8

That ceremony ......... enacted on Tuesday next.

(a) has been
(b) is
(c) is being
(d) have

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", answer 8

That ceremony is being enacted on Tuesday next.

Correct answer: (c) is being

Your answer was: incorrect
That ceremony have enacted on Tuesday next.

dear sirs and madams!
I would like to tell you that I enjoy on this course.
What does "on Tuesday next" mean? -
next Tuesday or second

with best regards

zainab
zainab

Tuesday next #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:48 am   Tuesday next

Hi zainab,

Glad you like the site. Tuesday next is simply a variation on next Tuesday - both mean the same.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why not "is" instead of "is being" #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 am   Why not "is" instead of "is being"

I thought that when we have to express some schedule we use the present simple tense.
Thanks.
Ljiljan
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Tense #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 am   Tense

Hi ljiljan,

The use here of the present continuous passive is because that tense can also have a future sense.

Let's look at an example in the active (not passive) voice:

They are enacting the ceremony next Tuesday

I've used the Present Continuous here to indicate a future event - they are going to enact.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does "on Tuesday next" mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:07 am   What does "on Tuesday next" mean?

Thanks Alan.
I understand what you mean. But, is it correct to say: "The ceremony is enacted on Tuesday next.", because it is something that will take place, happen, and we cannot influence it in any way?

Thanks again.
Ljiljan
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Tense #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 am   Tense

HI,

Yes, that's perfectly possible. As you say, you can also look on it as a fixed event.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does "on Tuesday next" mean? #7 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:40 am   What does "on Tuesday next" mean?

Hello,

Quote:
The use here of the present continuous passive is because that tense can also have a future sense.

Alan

Quote:
I understand what you mean. But, is it correct to say: "The ceremony is enacted on Tuesday next.", because it is something that will take place, happen, and we cannot influence it in any way?

Ljiljan

Yes, that's perfectly possible. As you say, you can also look on it as a fixed event.

Alan

After studying the conversation between Alan and Ljilian, I conclude that both the Present continuous passive and the Present simple passive are suitable in this test sentence. Even Alan replied that the Present simple passive is perfectly possible. Thus, both answers (b) and (c) are correct. Could you please look into the matter?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

What is the difference between area and place? | What is a pick-up truck?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 4Does fat chance mean that the odds are poor that it will happenDoes to be fat cat mean to be one of important persons?Does to come on fast and furious mean that one was fast and furious?Does famoous last words mean that the best words ensue after the match has finishTest incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 3go berserk = become/get/go angry, frenzied, ragingdoubting thomasesI'm trying to pay down my car loanTest incompl/advan-528, Question 1What is a lead foot?