Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

argument; dispute; discussion; conversation
enough
cart
debate
resume
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

embarkation vs boarding

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
What is that word? | will return v.s. be returning
listening exercises
embarkation vs boarding #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 am   embarkation vs boarding

There's a question like this in my textbook:

(An announcement is being made at a port) The ship will soon be ready for _____ (embarkation/boarding). Would passengers please ensure they have their tickets ready.

Which one should I choose? Can you please explain the difference between them in this context?

Thank you.
Green_Grass

embarkation vs boarding #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 am   embarkation vs boarding

There is very little difference,

'Boarding' is the act of getting passengers and crew onto any vehicle carrying a group of people.
You can board a plane, a bus and a train.

'Embarkation' is the act of getting passengers and crew on board a ship or plane.
As this is specific to shipping, then this is the one I would choose -- but the other is perfectly acceptable too.
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is that word? | will return v.s. be returning
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
well-known / well knownbulk order is welcomebeing thrown atdetails of/for you boththroughDismal and dismayWhich is correct?empty vessel make the greatest soundit is carried out inWhat is the question form?"I came back there" or "I went back there"perception vs. perspectiveefficiency of/in