Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

set; equipment; outfit; clothing; wash basin
junction
expiration
readership
kit
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'had been broken into' - past perfect passive?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
By car, by bus, by train but on foot | Idiom: "Bags of time"
listening exercises
'had been broken into' - past perfect passive? #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:07 am   'had been broken into' - past perfect passive?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", question 9

How many times have you ......... your house broken into?

(a) been
(b) had
(c) be
(d) have

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Passive Tense Forms", answer 9

How many times have you had your house broken into?

Correct answer: (b) had

Why do we use "had" here instead of "been"?

MT
MT

Have something done #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:22 am   Have something done

Hi MT,

You want to say: have you been but if you do that, you change the passive from the house to you.

You can say: How many times have you been burgled? but in the sentence in the test the construction is: have something done and it is understood that you don't name the people who do it. You can say: I have had my house painted and that's the use in the sentence: How many times have you had your house broken into (burgled)?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Have something done #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 11, 2011 0:18 am   Re: Have something done

why use this item more explain please
Mahboobeh62

By car, by bus, by train but on foot | Idiom: "Bags of time"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
difference between "pool" and "collect"it is important to considerto work twelve-hour shiftstest questionsMissing spacecamera-happy?Missing spaceautomatic everythingHow is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?What is the meaning of "just over" and "just then"?What does "Comeback kid" mean?What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?