Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

resisting change; desiring to preserve traditions; cautious
conservative
formatted
virtual
quarterly
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The first clause is a cause therefore

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
She keeps trying (keep + gerund) | Meaning: members were able to get in touch with each other
listening exercises
The first clause is a cause therefore #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 20, 2006 17:19 pm   The first clause is a cause therefore

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #104 "Conjunctions: and, but, or & so", question 9

My brother wanted to buy a novel ......... I went to the book store after I finished work.

(a) so
(b) or
(c) but

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #104 "Conjunctions: and, but, or & so", answer 9

My brother wanted to buy a novel so I went to the book store after I finished work.

Correct answer: (a) so

Your answer was: incorrect
My brother wanted to buy a novel or I went to the book store after I finished work.

i dont think that is the correct answer because the first clause is an a cause therefore so should be used to signal that the second clause is the effect.

Leon
Leon

The first clause is a cause therefore #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 20, 2006 17:29 pm   The first clause is a cause therefore

Sentence with so is right.
My brother wanted to buy a novel so I went to the book store after I finished work.

or is often used in interrogative sentences mainly in alternative questions
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
The first clause is a cause therefore #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:47 am   The first clause is a cause therefore

It seem like cause-and-effect to me, Leon:

Cause: My brother wanted a novel.
Effect: I went to the bookstore.

She keeps trying (keep + gerund) | Meaning: members were able to get in touch with each other
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'in next month' VERSUS 'on next month'Meaning of annulledI haven't heard VERSUS I haven't informedMeaning of "the front of your letter"Difference between total and whole?Uncertainties vs. risksTautology? (use of the phrase 'it could be possible')Meaning of "life time of experience..."Why do we use SOLITARY instead of LONESOME or LONELY?Meaning of "tenant"Meaning of "fishy"Glared vs. glimpsedMeaning of "priories right"